Thursday, September 11, 2008

Leftover Mashed Potatoes? Potato Doughnuts

When I visit family in Portland, I make a point to go to Voodoo Doughnut for the best decadent doughnuts around. Before being converted to the fancy pants modern doughnuts, though, I was a Muno's girl. Their cake donuts, cooked in lard, are amazing. Old fashioned. Crispy. Soft. Delicious.

I have to think that this recipe, from The Portland Woman's Exchange Cook Book, would produce a more Muno's-esque doughnut than Voodoo-esque -- just right for dunking in a cup of coffee, or a glass of milk.
Potato Doughnuts.

One pint mashed potatoes. While hot add 1 tablespoon of butter, 2 cups of sugar. When cool add 3 eggs, unbeaten, one at a time, 1 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, 1 teacup sweet milk, 6 even teaspoons baking powder. Roll smoothly, cut and turn all the time. This recipe makes 6 dozen. The potatoes keep them moist.

Mrs. D. A. Shindler.
I can not imagine I'd ever have leftover mashed potatoes; to make this, I'd say you have to make the potatoes special. Or, if you have more self-control when it comes to hot buttery carb-laden side dishes, just cook extra taters at dinner time, and use the leftovers in the morning.

You know... on one of those mornings when you have a need for six dozen doughnuts.

There's no hint as to how to fry up your doughnuts, other than "turn all the time." Find another doughnut recipe, get out your deep fat fryer, and follow their suggestions. Don't overcrowd the fryer; do it in batches, folks.

Serve with coffee. Serve with milk. Serve with hot cocoa (yes, I'm still singing "Earthen Vessels" to myself, and thinking of doughnuts at the same time as that song has me firmly back in the basement of Ascension, having doughnuts and cocoa after church).

No comments:

Post a Comment