Wednesday, September 3, 2008

After The Dining Hall: Banana Bread

Back in college, I lived in the dorms. I lived in the dorms, I cooked in the dorms, I baked in the dorms. My first year, that mean trekking to one of the updated dorms -- Anderson Hall was a notorious pit -- to find an oven. It was worth it, though, for the pies, the cookies, the 1,000 calorie slightly alcoholic cream puffs... And, with this recipe from The Kitchen Survival Guide, the quick breads.
Banana Bread

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Yield: 1 loaf
Can be made ahead? Yes. The day before. Cool thoroughly and then wrap in foil. Store at room temperature or refrigerate.
Can be frozen? Yes. Cool completely, slice, then wrap in foil and store in a plastic bag. Defrost at room temperature, still wrapped. Toast before serving.
Can be doubled? Yes. Use 2 bread pans.
Good for leftovers? Yes. Will keep well wrapped in foil and in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 5 days.

3 very ripe bananas
2 eggs
2 cups flour, measured after sifting
3/4 sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup chopped nuts, such as walnuts or pecans

Preheat the oven to 350°F. with the rack in the center position. Butter and flour a 6-cup loaf pan, knocking out the excess flour.

Use a fork to mash the bananas in a large bowl. Add the eggs and mix well. Sift the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda over the bananas. Stir well and mix in the nuts. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Turn the cake out ont a wire rack to cool.

Now, kids, it's wrong to steal from the dining hall. Even if your breakfast is costing you $12, and you couldn't finish all that healthful stuff you put on your tray. It's wrong. It's just wrong. And it's certainly not how I ever got bananas to make banana bread in college.

:shifty eyes:

I did find out that the tiny tiny freezer in the tiny tiny dorm fridge was just the right size to stash overripe bananas while waiting to have enough to make a loaf of banana bread. And eventually I figured out that I could hide a toaster oven behind some books, and never have to leave the room for some study break banana bread goodness...

That would be wrong, too. Always follow your dorm rules. Never have forbidden appliances. Or volatile liquids used for flavor in cooking...

:shifty eyes:

I like my banana bread sliced thick, and slathered in butter. I also like it as the base for chicken or ham salad sandwiches, or with sliced apples and brie. And I think I've made my position on pecans quite clear; I'd go for walnuts here.

1 comment:

  1. Pictures:
    http://misplacedtexan.net/archives/22#comments

    ReplyDelete