Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Need Eggs: Gingerbread

After yesterdays' shocking lack-of-eggs post, I have to say, I need some eggs in this house. I need eggs, and baked goods made from same. Take, for example, this recipe from Favourite Kentish Recipes:
Gingerbread

2 large eggs
10 oz. black treacle or a mixture of golden syrup and treacle
3 oz. brown sugar
3 oz. margarine
8 oz. self-raising flour
1-1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
Grated rind of 1 lemon

Set oven to 325°F or Mark 3. Heat the margarine in a pan until just melted but not too hot. Whisk the eggs until they are very frothy. Keep whisking whilst gradually adding first the treacle, then the sugar and lastly the margarine. Fold in the sifted flour, together with the spices and the lemon ride. Grease thoroughly a tin approximately 9 inches x 7 inches x 2 inches and line the base of the tin with baking parchment. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for approximately 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
2 large eggs. That's all I need, and the rest will surely spring together...

I love the fact that this recipe uses the word "whilst." It seems to fit in with the treacle and the golden syrup and the hesitancy to say "just use the full 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger, fool, it's gingerbread!"

I've been craving gingerbread lately (though specifically a gingerbread made with Guinness); this weekend's going to be a rainy, stay-at-home sort of affair, so I may well set myself to baking. I wish I could remember the name of the place in Oregon where I first had gingerbread served as cake and not as cookie... it's so much better as a soft and spicy cake...

No comments:

Post a Comment