Thursday, October 9, 2008

Feeling Older, Part 2: Frozen Peanut Butter Pie

We didn't eat out much when I was growing up, so my early restaurant experiences are seared in my mind as the Special Occasions they really were. At one restaurant, we sat at the counter, and I was allowed to order dessert. I chose something that sounded yummy, and ended up being so rich, so decadent, so completely impossible to finish... and it became my absolute favorite dessert for years and year. Whenever I see it on a menu, I still start to order it, to this day.

The Milwaukee Ward Relief Society Cookbook is, once again, a shrine to the recipes that entranced me as a child.
Frozen Peanut Butter Pie
Connie Poppy

Graham Cracker Crust:
18 graham crackers
3 T. sugar
1/3 c. melted butter or margarine

Mix together. Reserve some for topping. Press evenly on bottom and sides of pie pan. Bake 10 minutes at 350°. Cool.

Filling:

3 oz. cream cheese
1 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. smooth peanut butter
1/2 c. milk

Mix the above together until smooth and creamy. Fold in 9 oz. of Cool Whip. Fold into pie crust. Sprinkle reserved topping or chopped peanuts on top. Freeze 4 hours or overnight.

Reserved topping? Nice to know we should try that... I'd rather use chopped nuts, or some crumbled graham crackers.

Speaking of, I'd admit to being a margarine person for the better part of the first two decades of my life, but... do me a favor: use butter for your crust. It just tastes better than margarine. It does.

Though I won't rat you out if you use a pre-made crust from the store. Heck, I won't rat you out if you buy a chocolate pre-made crust, or if you line your crust with Oreos before adding your peanut butter mixture. Or chocolate Flicks. Heck, line the tin with them, and then top the pie with them! Have fun with it.

Cut your pie into tiny, very thin slices. This bad boy is RICH.

No comments:

Post a Comment